Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, January 5, 2009

Book of Mormon Challenge

So 3 weeks ago exactly, my husband challenged us (he and I) to read the entire Book of Mormon cover to cover by the time he went back to work and school, January 5th. I took him up on it, but I wasn't sure I was going to be able to do it what with company coming into town for the week of Christmas.

Well, I did it. It took many hours a day of reading, approximately 25-50 pages a day, but Sunday night we both finished the very last page.

If you have never read the Book of Mormon cover to cover inside the space of a month or two, you should do it. I gained a much better perspective on exactly what was going on during those times. The Book of Mormon actually flows like a story, and sadly I didn't really ever know that. If you read it through fast enough, you can catch all that is going on and most of the teachings that are in it.

It was such an amazing feeling to finally understand so much more. I should have done it years ago. I thought my husband would get sick of me while we were reading, because I would be reading along and discover something new and then want to ask him about it and want to discuss it, but he patiently smiled at me ever time I did this.

Such an amazing Spirit came over me while I spent hours on the couch reading (and occasionally falling asleep). I felt like I could see through the people's eyes, understand why the Lord did what He did, feel closer to my Savior through His teachings to the Nephites. There is so much more than just doctrine in the Book of Mormon; there's lives, histories, teachings, stories.

As I was reading Ether just two nights ago, I realized for the first time that the Brother of Jared has such exceeding faith that he was able to not only see the finger of the Lord, but the whole being of the Lord. He spoke and saw Jesus Christ face to face! What an amazing experience that must have been! What astounds me is, he had such exceeding faith, but that was all it took, his non-wavering, exceeding faith in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. If we but had that same faith, then nothing could keep us from Him. Such an amazing blessing!

Over and over again I have read the scriptures Moroni 10: 4-5, for they are my favorite. But after reading the entire Book of Mormon in such a short time and more fully understanding it, reading it again was like a shock to my heart. No sooner had I read the verses then I knew with no doubt, and a surety that surprised me, that every last word written and spoken to me through the prophets of old were as true and real as if Christ Himself had come down to me and told me face to face. The records of those ancient people are not only for our benefit and to keep a history of their lives, but they are also blessings, warnings, teachings, and truths for us to follow and keep at all times.

We are truly a blessed people and generation. Yes we may live in some of the worst turmoil, but we are blessed with modern day prophets and apostles to guide us, the teachings of the prophets of old, Christ's teachings from his time spent on earth, a Savior and Redeemer who has provided our way to return to Him and our Heavenly Father, and a loving Father in Heaven who continually watches over us and guides us. We are never alone. This I know! If ever in need, all we need do is remember that Christ is walking with us in the sand, side by side, and when there is only one set of footprints, remember that is when he carries us. He is there, He loves you and I, and He is our Elder Brother. I know these things to be true. In His beloved name, Amen.

1 comment:

whitney said...

What a great idea! Good for you for sticking to ya'll's goal-the holidays are so crazy-busy, so I'm super-impressed. That's so cool that you gained such greater insight. I'll have to try it sometime myself.

ps-I so know what you mean about being on the same track w/our age/kids. It's always nice to have someone to relate to.