Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, August 29, 2014

Night Drifts

              My Writing group challenge each of us to write a short story for our next meeting.  So below is mine.  I really enjoyed this challenge and hope that my writing continues to grow and improve. 


               Evening drifts over us as we sit on the couch.  My little sisters and brother are in bed now, and I’m big enough to stay up a little while longer.  My nanny is nice like that.  A sigh escapes her lips, shoulders sinking into the cushions.  Quietly she speaks, “I think I want a hot shower.”  She isn’t really talking to me, just speaking to the air around us.  I nod, but don’t say anything.
                Mom and Dad are gone, but they’ll be back tomorrow morning.  They don’t often leave us for many nights, but when they do, Dolly is who they have tend us.  She’s been our nanny for a few years now, and has even lived with us a few times.  She’s really nice. I like her… even when she sings the same song over and over.
                Dolly gently pushes herself from the edge of the couch and turns to look at me.  “Be good while I’m in the shower.” Her hands are placed upon her hips in an authoritative gesture. I know she means what she says.  She walks two steps towards the bathroom and stops, placing her nose skyward.  Confusion crosses my mind at her stance but I’m 10, what do I know about adults.  She turns back to me, a slight panic in her eyes. “Do you smell that?” I shake my head.  Everything smells like my home to me. All normal.  She tugs on my arm, pulling me up next to her. “Here, smell now.”  I take in a deep breath and smell a slight hint of burning, but only shrug.   I just stare at Dolly, unsure of what she wants me to say.  “Do you smell it?”  Her eyes are fervently looking for answers.  I nod slightly, but I have no answers to give. 
                She turns on her heel, pulling me behind her by the arm, whisking us into the kitchen.  Frantically she searches the oven, then the stove, next the microwave and last the Fridge.  The kitchen looks fine to me, pretty normal really; dishes in the sink, a left over sandwich on the counter.  Yup, that’s our kitchen.  I furrow my brows, “What are you looking for Dolly?” I say it quietly so as not to disturb her while she searches.  Maybe she is looking for something to eat.  I was certainly itching for a late night snack.
                A few more moments pass in silence as I watch her shuffle around, place her hands on her hips, drop them down to her sides again, and then finally turn to me as though she only just remembered I was in the room with her.  “Can you go check out back for any of the neighbors burning weeds or a fire of some sort?”  Her voice is soft but the edges of her words are lined with tension.  I nod and start to walk towards the back door.    
                Out back I gaze over the alley to our neighbors’ yards.  Not much is going on at this time of night, but I can see that there are no fires.  Some boys are jumping on their tramp and wave the moment they see me.
                I survey all around me and decide that it’s time to go in.  Dolly will be waiting and worry if I’m outside too long.  When I enter the living room she is standing with her nose in the air sniffing.  “Gotta be something making that smell.” She mumbles to herself.  I just think she’s crazy, but who isn’t in our family? She’s practically family. 
                “There’s no fire outside Dolly.” She turns, startled by my appearance.  Her brows knit together, concern running across her expressions. “Are you sure you checked all the neighbors’ yards?”  I nod.  “Okay, will you go check out front for me?  Maybe I missed something that you’ll see.”  I smile, thinking I could see something better than her and skip to the front door.  As I draw nearer it I smell the burning stronger.  I look up at the ceiling but all I see is the ugly white popcorn up there.  Nothing special about that. 
                I open the front door and walk out, pushing the screen door out of my way as I go.  I look all around me but see nothing unusual.  My shoulders shrug and I turn to head back inside.  I feel this need to raise my head and look up to the sky, a hand under my chin lifting.  As I look up I see what looks like a dark rain cloud lurking about our roof.  I walk toward it and see that it’s coming from our roof, like a large plant growing upwards towards the sky.  It billows and moves like clouds in the sky, only this cloud is dark and stinks of burnt wiring.  “Dolly!”  My voice sounds weak in my ears, but she comes running at the sound of her name.  I point to the eves of the house.  As she turns her head to see what I’ve found I start towards the house.  
                You’re their big sister, you must take care of them.  The words my mommy tells me echo in my head.  Dolly is right behind me shouting commands. “Call 911, tell them there is a fire!  I’ll get the other kids!”  I do as I’m told and pick up the phone, but it’s silent.  It taunts knowing I can’t use it to call for help.  The air around me starts to darken and I begin to feel stuck.  Fear grasps me, holding me still, and I pray.  I hear heavy footsteps on the stairs near me. Two legs emerge from the dark night that has enveloped our home. Then my two sisters.  And last my little brother, clinging tightly to Dolly’s shoulder.  My sisters are still mostly asleep, only moving as Dolly’s legs move. 
                Wes is thrust into my arms before I know what’s happening.  “Take your brother and sisters to the Hansen’s house and stay there.”  There’s and urgency in Dolly’s voice that is very unnatural.  I worry about Dolly, but hold onto Wes with my sisters clinging to my shirt and walk out the front door.  I quickly make my way next door, knocking continually until the door opens. 
                “There’s a fire at our house.”  I blurt out, but I don’t know what else to say.  I look back at our driveway, waiting to see Dolly coming over to be with us, but the space is vacant.  I’m pulled into the neighbor’s house only moments after I turn back to face her.  She lays my sisters on the couch, covering them with blankets so they may go back to sleep.  They are lucky; I wish I could just go to sleep.  Wes starts to cry, pulling on my hair.  “It’s alright Wes, it’s okay.”  I whisper in his ear, but he persists.  Mrs. Hansen takes him from me and walks to the back room, leaving me standing alone in their living room.  I look at the door, thinking maybe I’ll go back and find Dolly. Then the door opens and she is coming to me, arms outstretched, embracing me in a tight hug.  “Are you okay?”  She’s sobbing into my shoulder and I hold her tight too.  I don’t know what to think or feel, but I’m glad she is with us.
                Sirens blare in the distance stopping in front of my house.  I stare out the window wishing I could be out there too, but Dolly made it clear I was to “stay put.”  She’s out there now, talking with a Policeman.  There are hoses and ladders and lots of different men.  I wonder what will happen to my stuffed raccoon, to daddy’s books, to mommy’s pictures.  I think of my piano in the front room and wonder if it will be ruined.  Water starts to pour from the hoses as tears pour down my cheeks.  My eyes feel tired, but I rub them, forcing myself to stay awake.
                The world is moving, up … down … up … down.  I can feel warmth on my forehead, someone whispers nearby.  I try to open my eyes, but glue has dried them shut.  Then I’m falling, slowly, down … down and my head falls onto something soft.  “She’ll be fine in here and we’ll lay out the other kids in Mary’s room.” Someone whispers, the voice as soft as butter.  It speaks again, “Why don’t you lay down on the couch and I’ll get you a blanket.”
                A yawn is loosed. “No, I can’t.  They’ll be home in a few hours and I can’t let them drive up to their home the way it looks now.”  Exhaustion is evident, but so is determination.  I hear feet moving and the door clicks closed.  I sit bolt upright, awake as can be and run to the door, swinging it open to find Dolly. 
                They turn and look at me, soft smiles on their face.  “Want to stay with me?” Dolly asks, knowing what my answer will be.  I run into her arms and she holds me tight.  “Alright then, but we have to sit in the van.”
                She parks the van in the middle of the street, right where mom and dad have to drive through to get to our house.  I keep telling her I’m not tired, that I’ll stay awake with her, but I soon drift off. 
                The dawn breaks and a car pulls up. I feel daddy’s arms around me as he lifts me to his chest.  He’s my best friend and I missed him a lot.  Mom and Dolly are talking, tears rolling down their cheeks; baby Robert asleep in mom’s arms.  “I love you pumpkin.” Daddy whispers in my ears.  I feel wetness on my cheeks and look at daddy to find him crying.  My cheeks are wet too.  It’s been a long night.  


Please remember this is my work and that it should not be used or taken without permission.  

No comments: