Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Family Reunions

Since our summer was already full of us moving from California to Utah, it need a little more to fill it completely.  So... we attended a couple family reunions.

The first was in Montpelier, Idaho and we had a blast.  All of my siblings, spouses and children were able to make it and it was AWESOME to have the whole group of us together again.

Below are some pictures of us having fun and enjoying the trip.

Boys doing belly flops
Playing games around the camp fire
Uncle Robert with the 4 grandkids (supposed chick magnets)
Playing in the stream next to our cabin
The oldest 3 King gals
My first of 6 keepable fish caught
Kenya trying to fish
The babies with grandma
We went fishing in a nearby reservoir and caught probably over 100 fish.  Half of those we ended up tossing back cause they were just little critters, but the other half we brought back with us.  My brother-in-law taught me to fillet the fish and the two of us spent about 2 hours fillet fish.  It was fun to get dirty, catch fish with my fam and enjoy the great day. 
The fishing crew



On Monday we packed up our camp site and headed to the other side of Idaho for another family reunion.  The three oldest King girls (myself, Britt and Elena) and the 4 grandchildren packed into my mini-van and being full to the brim drove off for our 8 hour trek.  It was quite the ride with the kiddos, but the three of us girls know how to have fun.  We spend a great deal of time singing and laughing.  I was a long trip, but super fun! 

Once we got to the other camp site we started to unpack.  No more than 2 hours after we arrived did we encounter an obstacle that was no fun at all.  
Kenya was jumping around some logs and rocks near the fire pit (no fire in it).  I asked her not to, but she insisted it was fun and continued while I wasn't looking.  It's the typical kid thing to do. :)  The next thing I know she is SCREAMING at the top of her lungs.  
When I find her she is clutching the back of her right thigh in pain and there is blood dripping down her leg.  While she was playing she had slid on one of the logs when it rolled from under her and landed on a piece of a branch that had been broken off.  The 2 inch piece of wood had punctured her thigh when she landed on it and left a good size gaping hole. 
Picture of Kenya's puncture wound
Well, I must not be a wonderful mother, cause I down played it and cleaned it and bandaged her up.  She had aunt Elena carry her around for about the next hour till she felt well enough to go play again.  
By the time bedtime came around I checked it again.  It had been about 4 hours since the incident and I figured since she hadn't complained, it was fine.  As I was helping her get dressed for be I realized that she had bled right through the bandage and her pants.  The wound was still oozing and so I picked her up and took her to my parents to see what they thought I should do. (Brian was no longer with us, he had to go back to work, otherwise I would have just consulted with him. :) ) 
One of my many cousins heard about the wound and came to find me.  I had no idea, but she was just finishing up nursing school and asked if she might take a look at it.  I was very grateful to her for being there.  
We got the bandage off and with all the oozing and blood decided that we should take her into the nearest ER (an hour and a half away).  By this time it was midnight and we had all spent the day driving and were tired, but my wonderful mother took my two other children while my amazing father drove with me the hour and a half to a Boise ER.  
It was good we took her in.  The numbed it, probed around, cleaned it out and wrapped it up.  The doc told us that she had punctured about 1 inch into her skin at an angle.  He didn't want to stitch it for fear of infection, so he said to keep it clean and watch it. 
The next day we left the dusty, dirty camp ground we were at because I was worried Kenya would get an infection, which she did end up getting. 
It was great to see all our family there at that reunion too, even though it was short. 
Kenya's leg took about 3 weeks to finally close up.  She was antibiotics for a while for the infection and it was quite the chore keeping her clean when all she wanted to do was run around and play outside in the dirt and water. :)  Now it's just a tiny scab (still)  and it's been about a month and a half.  Thankfully, it doesn't look like it will leave much of a scar. 
If you made it through all that, CONGRATS!  It was long winded. :)  But what can I say, I enjoy writing. :) 

No comments: